Granite Worktops Care Tips
As part of celebrating 30 years in business, DM Design are offering a FREE upgrade to Granite or Quartz worktops. Granite worktops are a fantastic addition to any kitchen. They look great and have a number of beneficial properties such as, heat resistant, scratch resistant, and are very hygienic! If you look after your Granite worktops properly they are also extremely durable and last many years.
So how can you ensure durability with Granite worktops?
Here are some hints and tips on looking after your Granite worktops;
1) Don’t allow spills to lie. Although they may not appear so from the naked eye are naturally a porous material. Certain foods and liquids can be absorbed and in turn causing staining if left dirty.
2) Do not place very hot objects directly onto a Granite worktop; certain granites may discolour either temporarily or permanently if sufficient heat is applied, Utensils such as very hot pans or teapots etc should be placed on pan-stands or heatproof mats to ensure this doesn’t happen.
3) Do not prepare food directly on your worktops; Use a chopping board for preparing meals, not only can the juices from certain foods stain the worktops, but by using sharp knifes you run the risk of scratching your worktop.
4) Clean with care; do not use abrasive materials such as metal pads, scouring detergents, alkaline and chlorine based cleaners or bleach on your granite worktops. Instead you should wash your worktops with warm water which you can add a non-abrasive neutral detergent to. Rinse and dry with a chamois leather or similar to really make the shine.
5) Apply a sealant; as granite is a natural material there are various recommendations as to how often you should seal your granite worktops, there are also various sealants available for granite worktops. Find the right one for your granite and apply as instructed to ensure long lasting quality.